Monday, August 2, 2010

Feed Me, Feed Me!

Normally this would have been MOTH's catch cry, but the No Fat Ever Again diet has put a sudden halt to that. However, a few months ago it was all the camelias in our garden screeching this at top note. They do like a feed up in late Summer, but somehow last year they got missed & were not happy about it.

So this year, MOTH heeded their call & fed them up liberally with his Seven Secret Herbs & Spices recipe & boy, oh boy have they responded! The big old spruce in the background is in another area of our garden.

However on Saturday the Hills were subjected to another big Winter storm - heavy rain, hail & high winds. Yesterday morning MOTH stumbled out to get the paper & came back inside to report that the wind had snapped off a large, heavily laden branch of one of my favourite camelias right by the front door. Not wanting to despatch the lot to the compost, I tried to rescue as many of the flowers as I could, so this morning, they are inside everywhere.

A florist I'm not, but they look ever so pretty thrown willy-nilly into a tall glass cylinder on the kitchen table.

And in the Hallway.

And here's just a few of the different varieties currently giving us much pleasure in the garden. I popped a few of them into a set of crystal trifle dishes that Mum & Dad received as wedding presents in 1948. They sit in the cupboard gathering dust mostly, so it's lovely to be able to use them. They are a delighful reminder of the delectable desserts served in them by my darling Mum.

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Yes they have been amazing this year haven't they. The only issue is that they just don't seem to last that long in a vase.

    How about a post on MOTH's secret herbs and spices. I would be most grateful, we are just using blood and bone. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Millie they look divine - camellia's & I don't mix well unfortunately - I have even managed to kill an entire hedge of them once. I love them in your mum's little glass bowls, reminds me of my mum.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning MIllie...I spotted camelia's when I was back in OZ...spring was in the air!!!

    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous flowers Millie! I think we have a camelia bush right by our front door. Puts on a spectacular show in the spring! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous Millie. A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Millie
    I haven't posted a comment for a while but I read your blog everyday. Love camellia's.
    Can't wait for Moth to be REALLY famous either.
    Kind Regards
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing better than a bit of willy-nilly arranging of camelias to get your Sunday off to a good start, is there, Mill's !!!! hehe.
    I can't believe that your camellia's are out now. , although, are you coming into Spring now ? I get so mixed up with all this topsey-turvey weather thing !!
    Whatever season you are in, they are beautiful and it's just a shame that the wind blew them over.I love that you put them in your mum and dad's trifle dishes. Perfect. Ours often get a touch of frost, just as they are at thier best and the flowers go brown.
    MOTH'S secret recipe of seven herbs and spices worked a treat though. Oh, he is a man of many talents. You are so lucky to have him !! How's the BFH coming on ?!! Love you MOTH !!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one flower I truly miss....Congratulations to the green thumbs in your family....xv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous flowers! I only have roses so no flowers here till spring :)

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails