Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Tassie Calling

MOTH & I are well overdue for a return trip to Tasmania, MOTH's spiritual home. Our last wander around the Island 6 years ago was nothing short of spectacular & I cried most of the way back to the Mainland on the ferry. However, not as much as when I arrived home & learnt from the agitated neighbours of a number of interesting At Home 'soirees' the boys had held in our absence. I've been hearing really good things about Quamby Estate just out of Launceston in the north, & these pics definitely convince me that a couple of nights here are a must.

Quamby Homestead’s construction commenced in 1828, and its founders, the Dry family, played a pivotal role in Tasmania’s early colonial and economic development. Of substantial architectural interest, it was during the 1860’s that the Quamby homestead became known as Tasmania’s 'Government House of the North'.


The homestead’s spacious reception rooms have soaring ceilings with the original decorative cornices and marble fireplaces. Grand French doors open onto a wide flag-stoned verandah with turned timber columns and decorative balustrades.

In keeping with the original building principles, the homestead has been restored into a unique luxury lodge housing ten superbly appointed guest rooms.


Completed in the 1830’s, this magnificent homestead is a rare example of Anglo-Indian architecture. On arrival, the tree lined driveway and extensive sweeping grounds are reminiscent of an English parkland setting.


The property was named Quamby after an Aboriginal word meaning "place to camp, settle down and rest"


Original features abound, like the bell-pull board in the servant's kitchen.


Guest suites are a mix of the old & the new.


The property is set on 12 hectares, so there's plenty of picturesque grounds to happily meander in.


And yes, just to keep Miss Millie very happy, there's a 9-hole golf course.


Timber shutters line the windows from inside, originally intended to provide protection from bushrangers. Two rose garden courtyards and a tennis court adjoin the homestead. So Quamby Estate, watch out as Millie & MOTH are on their way!

21 comments:

  1. I've lived in a lot of places in this fine country but I've yet to visit Tasmania...a huge gaping hole in my experience I know! Soon, soon and you've just made me want it to be sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too hard for me to look at these kinds of posts. Maybe I will win the trip for 2 to Oz, the drawing is tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I wonder what would happen if we got to Oz and never got back on the plane to return to the US? Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to smile at your blog profile on your sidebar.

    My sis-in-law has 4 boys and just shakes her head when it comes to trying to be completely understood. :) Me? I'm lucky to have an even split, 2 boys & 2 girls.

    Enjoyed your lovely lane through the seasons via picts. Gorgeousness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Millie
    I'm yet to get to Tassie but have heard wonderful things... This homestead is simply gorgeous.. I'd love to live somewhere like this... home and location.. although perhaps too chilly for me.. I know what you mean about crying all the way home.. i cried all the way home from Hawaii after my first european vacation.. oh well.. Hope you get your trip soon.. xx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. its got Millie written all over it, a must do I would say ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The setting is magnificent! I had no idea how civilized Tasmania was. I guess I have a romanticized view of farway lands... Steve is in China this week via Tokyo... he explained to me that Japan looks like Germany covered in rice fields... doesn't that conjure up images in one's head? I should definitely expand my travels... My world view is limited to the Americas and Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Millie,

    Tassie will never be the same!!!! HAHA...Are you going to travel all over Tassie when you come, or just to some parts?? If you need to know where some good interior shops are just me know! Hope you're having a good day.
    Take care
    Janine
    XXOO
    N.W. Coast Tassie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love Tasmania.

    I have a joke for you - 'Tasmania is proof that South Australians can swim.' by that beacon of political correctness Sam Newman.

    What I cannot get over in Tas is the age of the buildings. I know that in Europe and US buildings of early 1820s are a dime a dozen but there are none in Victoria and Tasmania is full of all these beautiful Georgian buildings. I will check out Quamby it must be new. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks lovely - have a super time...(your not going to take on another renovation are you?)

    Jk - this one looks like the renovation has already been done.

    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those guests rooms look so cozy don't they .. imagine having a bath like at the end of your bed. I've never been to Tassie (as yet) but I've heard it is lovely. Have a great trip with MOTH - hope the trees look as nice as they do on your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Millie,

    Love the beautiful homestead and what gorgeous grounds.
    Tasmania looks like a lovely place and
    have always wanted to visit ~ maybe one day.

    Have a wonderful Wednesday
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. This place looks so amazing! We spent our honeymoon in Tasmania (almost 15 years ago)...long overdue another trip I say! Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. We lived in Tasmania for 14 of the best years. It is also my soul home. Every time you turn your head there is something beautiful to see and if it were not for the wind chill factor it would be incredibly hot!!!! In winter our sun room could get to 42 degrees. Have a wonderful trip, Quamby looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks a little like our house...;)

    I haven't seen this place before - it looks so beautiful and wonderfully relaxing.

    You must make sure you go to a little cafe in Perth called Ut Si (http://utsicafe.blogspot.com/) to eat. It's wonderful.

    Hope you have a lovely time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please show us more when you return. I could easily 'camp-out' here for a week. How wonderful for you and MOTH to get away on a little holiday together. Relax and enjoy it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to have to save this one to my list of favorite places to visit. How lovely, I have never been to Tassie and have always wanted too. Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deep sigh...Now I know where to go when we eventually take another holiday. Enjoy, it looks beautiful..Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are killing me Mills!
    That place is so stunning, I am green with jealousy that I can't have a relaxing week in that tub! (but extreemly happy for you of course). I am planning to head off around Australia with my family and am busting to see Tassie! You have just given me a great place to visit, cheers!
    :) Flick

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous place Millie. I love Tassie and to me it is very similar to NZ in terms of scenery and wildlife.

    Last time I visited I stayed at Cradle Mountain lodge and adored every minute of my stay there, so tranquil. We often picnic at a lake 10 minutes away from where we live in France and I always say to Mr FF how it reminds me of Tasmania.

    A bientot,

    Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a great time Millie & MOTH! Looks like a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The house is beautiful. I loved every image, especially the porch and the servant bells.

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails