Sunday, October 9, 2011

What's Swedish For Feisty?

MOTH & I have spent the past month working our way through the film adaptions of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and finally last night tucked up in front of the fire, we completed the trifecta with The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets’ Nest. Brutually realistic, achingly haunting, but always compelling, we enjoyed the series immensely. Noomi Rapace's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander was breathtaking, a truly masterful piece of casting by director Niels Arden Oplev.

In an interview last year with the UK Telegraph, Noomi said that Oplev initially thought she was too good-looking, feminine & soft to portray the sinewy, boyish, hard, punkish Lisbeth. To counter his objections, she went back to him & told him she'd do anything he wanted her to do to become Lisbeth & he finally agreed.

She dieted hard, cut her hair, learnt Thai kick boxing, trained with a fighter, gained her motorbike licence, obtained real body piercings & boy did it show.

Noomi says she hopes to have a career as a European actor, based in Paris or London. However a move to Hollywood isn't on the cards, and she noted that she had no desire to recreate Lisbeth in the Hollywood remake.

Mystic Millie has checked out her infamous crystal ball & predicts a very big future for Noomi. She is one feisty, gutsy chick who'll go far. And by the way, there appears to be no equivalent Swedish word for feisty or gutsy. If Translator is incorrect, do let us know.

10 comments:

  1. I've only seen one of the films but thought Noomi played the part really well. I'm sure you're right with your prediction Millie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the series too Millie....I thought she was perfectly cast....but what commitment she had....she deserves to be successful....xv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Doesn't she look amazing in real life? Not a scrap like Lisbeth. She is amazing and the movies were fabulous, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the books...she looks great in the movie. I look forward to seeing them all too. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loved her and her roll in the movie.
    she really is a beauty....who knew?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sista of the mysterious, she reminds me a little of Audrey Hepburn in that last photo...
    Gutsy in Swedish seems to be: byig.
    xo isa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our book club read all three books. I have yet to see any of the movies. I understand there is an American version of the first coming out and a Swedish version. They are on my to watch list but the books were a bit graphic and I think the movies must be too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Millie, thought it about time I left a comment instead of stalking your lovely blog.
    It's incredible to see the transformation in Noomi's appearance for this role.
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm swedish and I think "Tuff" would be the word, maybe "frän" or to be a "kämpe"...
    Sometimes it is hard to find the correct translation! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Millie
    I watched the first movie the girl with the dragon tattoe. I agree great movie but way to graffic for me. So I haven't watched the others or read the books. Too scary.
    Kind Regards
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails