Red curry of roast duck
- 500ml coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 60ml fish sauce
- 600 - 800ml coconut milk
- 1 whole Chinese-style roast duck, de-boned and sliced (buy it from Chinatown or any good Asian BBQ restaurant)
- 3 long red chillies, halved and de-seeded
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 6 Thai apple eggplants (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus chopped into 1cm. pieces
Red Curry Paste (Place 1 tablespoon shrimp paste onto a piece of foil, wrap tightly and roast in a hot oven for 5 - 8 minutes until it becomes fragrant. Unwrap and add it to 2 finely chopped red onions, 10 cloves chopped garlic, 6 coriander roots, 7cm. piece fresh galangal, 2 sticks chopped fresh lemongrass, 15 dried long red chillies peeled, sliced, seeded and soaked in warm water to soften them & then drained, pinch of salt & white pepper. Place them all together in a food processor and blend until smooth.)
- Heat the coconut cream in a heavy based pot and boil until it separates and the coconut oil rises to the top. Stand over it and stir to make sure it doesn't catch on the bottom.
- Add 6 tablespoons of the curry paste and fry for 5 minutes until it becomes fragrant, again making sure that you stir constantly.
- Add the coconut milk & then the palm sugar, lime juice & fish sauce, stir & bring to the boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes until the flavours combine and it tastes sweet, salty, spicy and creamy.
- Serve with heaps of steamed fragrant Jasmine rice sprinkled with fresh coriander.
Images: Sumptuous & Aqua Cafe