Friday, June 6, 2008

Defining White

Image Restoration Hardware

Image Graham & Green

Image The White Company


Image Room Service Home

Image The White Company

white a., & v.t., 1. a. resembling a surface reflecting sunlight without absorbing any of the visible rays, of the colour of milk or fresh snow or common salt or the common swan's plumage.

I've often thought how would you define white to someone without sight. The Oxford Dictionary gives this rather vague & somewhat self-indulgent definition which doesn't really help me - how could they call a swan common! Anyway, I'd be very interested to hear your comments & in the meantime, here are a few of my favourite white things (as Julie Andrews would trill!)

2 comments:

  1. I love white. It's clean and pure. It makes me feel calm and at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a subject dear to my heart. I LOVE white and even with 2 little boys I will persist with my white house plans... thank goodness for Napisan Oxyaction! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails