Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Inspired Garden Retreats

Image Scotts of Thrapston
The Reading Room
The refurbished tool shed at the bottom of Virginia Woolf's garden forms the inspiration for the Reading Room. Despite living in privileged surroundings it was this distinctive outbuilding that was to provide her with the ideal place in which to write, think and relax.

Image Scotts of Thrapston

Image Scotts of Thrapston

Image Scotts of Thrapston
The Writer's Retreat
This wonderful garden retreat draws inspiration from the modest summerhouse in George Bernard Shaw's garden. This tiny, converted shed was where he created many of his masterpieces, including the Oscar winning screenplay for "Pygmalion" and the play "St Joan", for which he was to win the Nobel Prize for literature.

Image Scotts of Thrapston

Image Scotts of Thrapston

Image Scotts of Thrapston
The U.K. National Trust have joined with Scotts of Thrapston to produce these 2 gorgeous Summer Garden Retreats. Adhering to the adage 'less is more', these unassuming and humble buildings may be small and plain but their true beauty lies in the opportunity they offer to be at peace in the garden and enjoy a few moments of quiet relaxation.
How I would love to wander through our garden with a book and a glass of wine to find one of these little gems waiting just for me!

2 comments:

  1. A few years ago, there was a home on the market in Atlanta that had a beautiful little garden retreat in the back. I always wondered what the owners used it for! I wonder if I have a picture of it? It clearly made an impression!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. I have been so bad about blogging lately because I am a bit out of my decor phase, a bit into my real estate phase (next up will be my art phase!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is almost eerie how similar the inside of this little garden shed (?) is to the inside of my daughter's playhouse that we are building, right down to the daybed and counter area (where we are planning a play kitchen). I am so happy I saw this post, because now I can visualize what hers will look like when complete!!

    I love your blog, by the way...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails