Friday, July 25, 2008

La Bombe!


In this house the word bomb generally relates to one of a number of cars of dubious age & ability, that have 'graced' our driveway over the years. As the mother of 5 boys, if I hear those immortal words "Don't worry Mum it won't be there for long, I just need to do some work on it" one more time I'll go into melt-down!!

Son No. 4, who is the main culprit in the old bombs saga, had the 'honour' of being the first to experience the now famous 'Millie Solution' to this dilemma. He returned home one evening to find the worst of his cars Missing In Action, as his long-suffering mother Millie had finally reached the end of her rope when she couldn't get out of her own driveway and so made a phone call to the local Wreckers Yard.
A nice man came straight over, backed his Tow Truck down our driveway & removed the said car from my sight forever!! And he gave me $150 for my trouble! Although said son did have the cheek to later present me with an Invoice for $700.00, which he claimed was the true value of the towed car. However, his brothers quietly took him aside & gave him some firm brotherly advice about the veracity of his claim & strangely, the subject was not mentioned again!

Now with all the boys finally gone from home, the only bomb I want to know about now is the gorgeous one in this post. However, as I've never been game enough to tackle the famous Bombe Alaska, I need as much advice as I can get. So please post tips & tricks, if you have any, to make the Bombe process a great success!

11 comments:

  1. What a Fantastic post! - how yummy does that look! I'm not a huge meringuey fan so have no recipes but my sister is a super cook/caterer (currently moonlighting at administration person at my work at moment) - I'll ask her!
    Have a great weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh out loud!
    When you figure it out, please post cuz I would be interested in that bomb too!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 boys... WOW... I only have 2... and I haven't gotten to them drive yet... ugh!
    That dessert looks like HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Sister who is a chef has said to make sure all your utensils are clean from any water. That is the secret to a good top and dont put the temp too high. I tried and failed so good luck to you Millie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - what a grat story. I'll have to keep that in mind if my son G swaps his love for soccer with a love for car wrecks.
    I love your blue post - so many beautiful things. And thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again andthank you so much for your kind message! I'd like to have you in my favourites...can I link you???
    Have a nice week end!
    Ciao!!!
    Vale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Millie, I'm not sure I'm ready to be a mum to grown up boys! I think I might ned to come to you for some lessons when my sons reach the car tinkering age.
    Good luck with your Bombe. My mouth is watering.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see your Alaska Bomb :) It looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm scared for my boys to grow up. I don't want them driving cars let alone fixing them. You're a cool Mum and your boys sound like they love and respect you. You should be so proud. A-m xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great post Millie, it made me laugh!! Good luck with the Bombe - it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... gr8!!!

    A wonderful w/end to u & ur fam,

    Greetings from the sunny Stockholm!

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails