Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thanks J.T.!

The Hedge is definitely not a food blog (wouldn't insult those who do it so well!), but had to share last night's dinner with you. If I see Thai Red Duck Curry on the menu when we are eating out it always get my nod. However, I've never found any recipe I've felt I could replicate well at home. Now thanks to South Australian chef Jordan Theodoros, I have! I picked up a cooked Roast Duck from the Chinese Charcuterie at the Market on the way home from work & in the interests of time & MOTH's look of abject hunger, I cheated by using a sachet of Mae Ploy Red Curry paste instead of doing my own. We have coriander & kaffir lime leaves by the running mile at the moment, so MOTH took the torch & wandered down to his pots on the Tennis Court & brought a whole lot back up to the kitchen. The curry was an outstanding success & I can't recommend it enough.


Red curry of roast duck
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 500ml coconut cream
  • 2 tablespoons palm sugar
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 60ml fish sauce
  • 600 - 800ml coconut milk
  • 1 whole Chinese-style roast duck, de-boned and sliced (buy it from Chinatown or any good Asian BBQ restaurant)
  • 3 long red chillies, halved and de-seeded
  • 8 kaffir lime leaves
  • ½ ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 4 tomatoes, cut into quarters
  • 6 Thai apple eggplants (optional)
  • 1 bunch fresh asparagus chopped into 1cm. pieces

Red Curry Paste (Place 1 tablespoon shrimp paste onto a piece of foil, wrap tightly and roast in a hot oven for 5 - 8 minutes until it becomes fragrant. Unwrap and add it to 2 finely chopped red onions, 10 cloves chopped garlic, 6 coriander roots, 7cm. piece fresh galangal, 2 sticks chopped fresh lemongrass, 15 dried long red chillies peeled, sliced, seeded and soaked in warm water to soften them & then drained, pinch of salt & white pepper. Place them all together in a food processor and blend until smooth.)

  • Method:
  • Heat the coconut cream in a heavy based pot and boil until it separates and the coconut oil rises to the top. Stand over it and stir to make sure it doesn't catch on the bottom.
  • Add 6 tablespoons of the curry paste and fry for 5 minutes until it becomes fragrant, again making sure that you stir constantly.
  • Add the coconut milk & then the palm sugar, lime juice & fish sauce, stir & bring to the boil.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes until the flavours combine and it tastes sweet, salty, spicy and creamy.
  • Serve with heaps of steamed fragrant Jasmine rice sprinkled with fresh coriander.

Images: Sumptuous & Aqua Cafe

11 comments:

  1. Perfect. I love the use of chinese roast duck, noone can do it like that at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love a good Thai dish and JT would be welcome at my house anytime to cook it for me! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Millie - loved your comment about anon.
    and just wanted to tell you that reed's shoes are on Amazon! and the new ones will be on there in late sept. if you are interested.

    thanks again so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Nice ... Oh the food as well!!

    I'm just thinking of dinner, now you have me wanting this Millie!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one thing I really miss is Thai food and especially a good red curry. No kaffir lime leaves here for me MIllie....xv

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me miss the Thai spot right down the street where we would go for excellent meals. The place is gone, we moved as well, but now I know with your excellent skills, I can make this at home.
    Send some leaves my way....lol!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMmm mmm...you little culinary expert you !!! You have such fabulous food shops in Australia...no way could I just 'pick up' all of those delightful ingredients on my way home !! .... and for MOTH to be able to just pop down to the tennis court and pick kaffir lime leaves (we can actually grow coriander in the U.K. !!! ) would be heaven.London, being very multi cultural has fantastic restaurants though, and we can make Thai red curry but it just takes a bit more effort. We just don't have the weather to grow some of the more exotic ingredients. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. JT...come on over!!!!Wish we had SMELL...as an option in blogland...MMMMmmm. xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Thai food and your recipe sounds wonderful! Thai Green curry is my favourite....never heard of JT but am liking what I see :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - I can't even fathom making that!
    MOTH has it pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Millie,

    I enjoy Thai food and we often eat out at a lovely little restaurant in the City.
    thanks for the recipe and yes, you can't beat a good home cooked red curry.
    I loved the thought of Moth going out in the night to pick the kaffir lime leaves and coriander.

    Enjoy your weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails