Saturday, May 28, 2011

How Good Was That!

Just a quick post to let you know MOTH & I are now back home after our 10 glorious days in Hong Kong. I can hear the chain saw screaming as he's down cutting up wood for the fire - we've returned to a bitterly cold snap here in Southern Australia & it's freezing!

HK exceeded my expectations a zillion times over - what a truly vibrant, frantic, diverse city it is. I loved, loved, loved, loved it. MOTH & I bought an Octopus card as soon as we arrived & then caught the Mass Transit Rail (MTR) everywhere. The MTR moves 2.6m. people a day around HK, so it is a highly organized & easy to use system of transportation. It also meant that we walked kilometres & kilometres every day, which was fab as it meant that we could eat as much as we liked & then walk it off! I've actually come home lighter than I was prior to leaving, which is VERY good thing!

Hazardous MOTH appeared twice during the 10 days & one episode involved an 'interesting' experience up in a little village close to the Chinese border. I won't bore you with the details but it required me stepping in very quickly & using every diplomatic negotiation skill I possess to diffuse a situation with a overly bureaucratic local authority. If I hadn't MOTH would probably be languishing in a cell somewhere in rural China driving his fellow in-mates crazy with his bad jokes.

And then there's the shopping - hooley dooley I was in Heaven! I hired a smart phone when we arrived which was loaded with interactive details of all the shopping meccas, restaurants, interesting walking tours + all the MTR maps & it was invaluable. It also meant I could Facebook the kids & let them know what they were missing (& what MOTH was up to!). Lots more to tell you, but I'll save that for another day. I'm looking forward to finding an hour or so to catch up with all your news, but need to get going & do a heap of domestic chores before I can indulge that luxury.

Image: Travelpod


Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Welcome home Millie,

    Can't wait to learn more about your adventures [and MOTHs misadventures] in HK and see the evidence of all your shopping.

    What a great idea to be able to hire a smartphone, I've never heard of doing that before.

    Happy weekend and warm wishes for all that's enjoyable in your pocket of this wonderful world.

    xx Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you both had a good trip, and like Felicity, I hope we'll hear more about the risks of travelling with your dear MOTH.
    Sharon
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are both safe and well and had a great trip. You do make me laugh with your witty recitals. You must be one very special lady. Hope yo can stay in the trips afterglow a bit longer even while doing the domestic chores. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Millie! What a hoot about the "diplomatic diversion". Will make for a great story, no doubt. Details required.

    Hopefully the happy cheer will keep you warm in the chill of an SA winter, and it won't all wear off too soon.

    Virginia x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home Millie,
    Glad you had such a wonderful trip - I followed your lead and booked the same hotel for our 2 day stopover in HK to Europe next month - looking forward to hearing of some favourite restaurants and shops that you recommend.

    Christine xo

    P.S Glad too that MOTH made it home safely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Millie! It sounds like an amazing trip. You gave me lots of ideas just from this post. Keep them coming, I would love to add them to my Travel Notes.
    Best wishes to you and MOTH

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Glad you had a Great Trip Millie...
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mill's and MOTH,
    Welcome home and it's great to hear that your trip to HK was so successful and fun. Glad that you diffused the near diplomatic incident involving MOTH......I dread to think what you did MOTH but I'm glad that you avoided the slammer and are a free man !!
    Our holidays always involve a great deal of eating and drinking but, like you, many miles of walking, usually vertically, and we always come home a few pounds lighter, so I can relate to that.
    I look forward to hearing more about your great adventure and to see some of your purchases.
    Lovely to have you back and, keep warm. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home Millie - can't wait to hear some of the stories! Keep warm, we've had the fire going non stop all week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you had a great time...it sounds wonderful!! Now you can enjoy the holiday weekend - hope it's relaxing ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter is moving to Hong Kong in three weeks!

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails